The Senior Utilities Engineer will support HVAC systems, Clean and Dirty Utilities such as WFI, Clean Steam, Clean Dry Air, Boilers, Chillers, Waste Neutralization and Refrigeration Systems, etc. Working knowledge of SCADA and BMS (Building Management Systems) is a plus.
This position will interface with other key stakeholder groups such as, Engineering, Capital Project Management, Quality Assurance, Quality Control, Quality Assurance Engineering, Manufacturing and Environmental Health Safety & Sustainability.
The engineer may be requested to support other opportunities as directed by management.
This position will interact collaboratively with key customers, peers and other stakeholders to support achieving BioMarin tactical and strategic goals & objectives.
The Senior Utilities Engineer will work closely with other support groups such as Manufacturing, Quality Assurance Validation, Quality Assurance Engineering, Facilities Engineering, Maintenance/Metrology, Automation Engineering, Process Engineering, EHS&S, and Quality Control to assure that BioMarin assets are well managed throughout their lifecycle.
The Senior Utilities Engineer will provide coaching, mentoring and guidance for more junior engineers and may be designated as a subject matter expert for one or more clean/dirty utility systems.
- Demonstrate an in-depth technical knowledge of facilities and utilities used to support the manufacture, Research & Development, and warehousing of pharmaceutical and biological products
- Act as the Utilities Engineering resource on cross-functional project teams
- Demonstrate leadership ability including the ability to lead, motivate, develop and directly/indirectly influence others effectively
- Apply extensive practical expertise in their area(s) of knowledge
- Advance safety, health and environmental stewardship at BioMarin through technical decisions, guidance and leadership
- Effectively manage internal and external relationships with customers, key stakeholders and vendors
- Develop and maintain effective communication with peers, subordinates and senior management
- Demonstrate the ability to be self-directed with limited guidance and oversight from management
- Support development of internal engineering practices and procedures
- Effectively apply independent judgment utilizing BioMarin policies, industry practices and BioMarin standards as guidance
- Demonstrate effective collaboration, partnering and teamwork skills when interacting with internal and external resources
- Actively participate in technical, tactical and strategic reviews/discussions
- Remain current on all training requirements
- Demonstrate the ability to plan and implement small projects
- Identify and champion projects that will successfully support BioMarin business goals and objectives
- Stay current with leading edge technologies, trends and best practices through contacts with industry, service/equipment providers and other formal/informal means
- Work collaboratively with capital project teams to ensure there is a smooth transition after construction is completed for utility projects.
- Understand and interpret design documents, such as, P&ID’s, PFD’s, mechanical, electrical, etc.
- Assist in the troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of HVAC and Plant Utilities.
- Assist and support Validation of various utility systems.
- Track and implement corrective/modification plans through the Change Request process.
- A minimum of 15 years’ experience in facilities and clean/dirty plant utilities, preferably in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry.
- Demonstrated successful engineering support of capital projects ranging from $1 to 10 million.
- Demonstrated engineering Subject Matter Expertise (SME) in at least one of the following systems: Water for Injection (WFI), RO/DI, Pure Steam, Clean Dry Air (CDA), clean process gas systems, HVAC, Plant Steam, Chilled water, Condenser Water, Process Waste Water, refrigeration, or electrical systems
- Strong organization, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency with standard office software applications, including MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, MS Power Point, MS Access.
- Leadership experience of employees or contractors/vendors
- Experience with TrackWise and Infor CMMS a plus.
BS or MS in Mechanical, Electrical or Chemical Engineering from an accredited university. Relevant job and years of experience may be substituted in place of a degree.